» Main Relocate »
Education: We Value & Invest in It
Education is an integral part of our community. From kindergarten through high school, from self-improvement through community education to graduate school in a world-class university system, Fairbanks has it all!
The Fairbanks North Star Borough School District includes twenty-two elementary schools, six middle schools, six high schools and one vocational institute, with total enrollment of about 14,500. The Borough also has twelve private schools and eight preschools. Reflecting the community's support for quality education, test scores for Fairbanks students are considerably higher than the national average.
According to the Fairbanks North Star Borough School District:
- The average Fairbanks student placed in the 63rd percentile on national standardized tests.
- Class size varies from school to school and class to class, but the district wide average is 23 students per class.
- 52% of our teachers have master's degrees.
- Students in our district come from 50 different language backgrounds reflecting the district's rich cultural environment.
- A higher percentage of our total budget is spent on instruction and pupil support and less on administration than the statewide average.
- 86% of our seniors graduated.
- The average Fairbanks student has higher composite SAT and ACT scores than state and national averages.
- The local community supports Fairbanks public schools through school-business partnerships, school-aged tutoring programs, career day speakers and by volunteering tens of thousands of hours to school-related activities.
- Additional academic and enrichment opportunities for students are offered through the elementary reading program, before- and after-school programs, and summer school.
The University of Alaska has a significant presence in Fairbanks. The main campus provides many degree programs and conducts world class research. Fairbanks also has a downtown campus (TVC ) offering certificates and associates degrees in many career fields. Fairbanks also has branches of other post-secondary education institutions like Wayland Baptist and Embry-Riddle.
The Fairbanks community has an astounding variety of community education opportunities through the Fairbanks North Star Borough School District, private organizations, Tanana Valley campus of the University of Alaska and through local faith-based organizations.
2004 - 2014 ©, Come to Fairbanks, all rights reserved.
This site is brought
to you by:
Star Borough, Economic Development Division
PO Box 71267, Fairbanks,
Alaska 99707. Phone: 907-459-1300
of this strategy was financed in part by funds received from
the State Department
of Community and Economic Development, Division of
Community and Business
Development and the Alaska Industrial Development
and Export Authority.
and recommended links may be sent to:
Web Site by Sundog Media LLC.